Meg's Roast Chicken September 03 2013, 0 Comments
Whether you are craving a classic, having a romantic date night or needing a never-fail recipe for entertaining friends, nothing beats a golden roast chicken. Few things will give you more pride in the kitchen than opening your oven to see that deliciously crisp skin or carving into your perfectly herbed and juicy bird. This recipe is just right for four guests or a couple who love their left overs.
You Will Need:
1 medium roasting chicken (we recommend free range, organic or kosher)
1 large organic unwaxed lemon
1/4 cup minced fresh organic chive
1/4 cup chopped fresh organic flat-leaf parsley
1 small organic onion, halved
3 organic garlic cloves
2 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp organic unsalted room temperature butter
freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to season
roasting pan with rack
(Need the perfect side? See our quick recipe for roasted veggies below. Start here first and make sure to purchase organic/locally sourced produce whenever possible)
1. Preheat your oven to 250 C. While the oven preheats, pat your chicken dry and remove anything from the cavity. Set aside to reach room temperature while you prepare your other ingredients.
2. Use a citrus zester or vegetable peeler to remove the zest from your lemon. Mince your zest and set your lemon aside for later use.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together your olive oil, herbs and lemon zest. Season the mixture with sea salt and pepper to taste.
4. Carefully slide your fingers between the skin and flesh of the chicken to separate the skin from the breast. This can be a tricky step for first timers. Be gentle and have patience.
5. Spread the lemon and herb mixture under the skin.
6. Cut your zested lemon in half a place it inside the cavity of your chicken, along with the halved onion and garlic cloves.
7. Rub your bird all over with the room temperature butter and season generously with sea salt and black pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine and place your chicken on roasting rack and pan. Place in the oven.
8. Roast the bird for about 25 minutes until it is golden brown all over. (If you are making veggies, the 25 minute mark is the perfect time to turn them)
9. Reduce your oven temperature to 150 C and roast for about 35 more minutes or until your chicken is cooked through. If it helps, feel free to use a meat thermometer. Your bird should read 74 C or 165 F when done.
10. Remove your chicken from the oven and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Do not skip this step or you will lose the all of the juiciness and flavour.
To make the perfect side:
Roughly chop 1 onion, 6 to 10 baby or fingerling potatoes, 2 large sweet potatoes, 3 large carrots and 3 cloves of garlic and toss in olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Place in your roasting pan below your chicken and roasting rack and roast with your bird, turning the veggies once during cooking.